Building continued on into 1913 and 1914, spreading even along Yardley Green Road where there were more shops and a post office added. Belcher’s Lane was mostly built between the Spring of 1913 and the Summer of 1914. Not included in the Ideal Village build, but completed alongside it, were the Samson and Lion public house and the Methodist Church on Yardley Green Road. Although not part of the build it is easy to see the connections with both serving a growing community. The pub was in fact a rebuild in 1914 of the previous site.
The outbreak of the First World War did not immediately halt building work. New building applications were being made up until 11th December 1914 when Hands applied to build a house on Finnemore Road. From the end of December 1914 till the close of the war in November 1918 no planning applications were permitted apart from for industrial or military purposes. The next applications for the village were made in February 1919, again with Hands as the architect and again with the site stated as Bordesley Green. Four houses were completed in February 1920.
The concept of the Ideal Village as a rural suburb by the country ended as soon as August 1920. It was then that planning applications were put in for council housing to be built at the north end of Belcher’s Lane. These plans for 28 houses signalled the beginning of the end for the rural ideal as they were followed by more council houses out along Bordesley Green East. Change was reflected in minor ways on the Ideal Village too. The 1925 building registers features submitted plans for minor additions and “motor houses” (garages) for the increasingly popular motor cars. In November 1925 plans were submitted for the last houses to be built on the Ideal Village site – four on the corner of Marchmont Road and Bordesley Green. In 1929 the Mission Church was consecrated and the parish of St Paul’s, Bordesley Green was established in its own right, independent from St Margaret’s, Ward End. Two years later, in 1931/32 the Board School was reorganised as a Senior Girls and Juniors & Infants school.
There was later construction on the village site due to bombing. In 1940 an air raid damaged several houses in the area with four houses so badly affected they had to be demolished. These houses at 583- 589 Bordesley Green were rebuilt from scratch and although they were built in a similar style it is apparent they are not contemporary with their neighbours.